Skip to main content

Support for Families - The Family Hub Service

Employment of children


These regulations apply to children from the age of 13 up until the end of school year 11. It is illegal to employ a child under the age of 13.

In order to work lawfully a child must have a work permit issued by the child employment officer. You can download an application form to apply for a permit

Note to employers: A completed application form must be sent to the local authority within one week of employment. All work permits are issued subject to the approval of the local authority.

Byelaws have been adopted by the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead which affect both the hours that children may work and the type of work children may do. These byelaws are in addition to any other rules and regulations which apply to any particular workplace, for example health and safety regulations.

Hours that can be worked

The hours that children can work are strictly regulated. Any employer in breach of these regulations will be subject to legal proceedings.

School days

All children: up to a maximum of 12 hours per week during term time.
Either between the end of the school day and 7pm up to a maximum of two hours.


One hour between 7am and 8am and one hour between the end of the school day and 7pm.

Saturdays and school holidays

13 or 14 years of age: five hours per day up to a maximum of 25 hours per week in school holidays.
15 or 16 years of age: eight hours per day to a maximum of 35 hours per week in school holidays.

In addition:

The employment must not take place before 7am or after 7pm, and
The child shall not be employed for more than four hours consecutively, and
The child shall be free for rest and recreation for a continuous period of one hour after each period of employment.


All children: maximum two hours which must be between 7am - 7pm.

No child of any age may be employed:

In a cinema, theatre or discotheque, dance hall or night club, (except in connection with a performance given entirely by children or under the terms and conditions of an entertainment licence).

  • To sell or deliver alcohol except in sealed containers.
  • To deliver milk or fuel oils.
  • In a commercial kitchen.
  • To collect or sort refuse.
  • In any work more than three metres above ground, or in the case of internal work three metres above floor level.
  • In employment involving harmful exposure to physical, biological or chemical agents.
  • In work involving exposure to adult material or in situations which are for this reason otherwise unsuitable to children.
  • In telephone sales.
  • In a slaughterhouse or in butcher's shop or other place connected with the killing/butchery of livestock or the preparation of meat for sale.
  • As an attendant or assistant in a fairground or amusement arcade, or in any other place used for the purpose of public amusement by automatic machines, games of chance, or skill etc.
  • In personal care of residents of any residential home or nursing home unless under the supervision of a responsible adult.
  • To collect money or canvass door to door, except under the supervision of an adult.
  • Before 7am or after 7pm.

Examples of light work allowed:

  • Agricultural or horticultural work.
  • Delivery of newspapers, journals etc.
  • Shop work.
  • Hairdressing salons.
  • Office work.
  • Car washing (by hand in a private residential setting).
  • In a cafe or restaurant.
  • In a riding stables.
  • Domestic work in hotels etc.